Autosomal DNA

mikefitz
Site Admin

Wed Jul 11, 2018 5:50 pm

Discuss Fitzpatrick autosomal DNA here..
Tim Fitzpatrick

Thu Jul 12, 2018 2:55 pm

Autosomal DNA is a valuable tool for genetic genealogy. It is currently rated to find cousins within five to six generations as stated at Family Tree DNA (FTDNA). I presume the other testing companies will have a similar rating.
I have followed a strategy of gathering and testing as many cousins as I can distributed throughout my family tree. All your cousins are very valuable to test. First cousins will allow you to have a paternal group of matches and a maternal group of matches. I have found that second cousins are just as good if not better. A second cousin will match with you and a common match and triangulate to one of your four grandparents. Similarly a third cousin will identify one of your great grandparents. A good text to read is by Blaine Bettinger called An Introduction to Genetic Genealogy.
Tim
mikefitz
Site Admin

Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:38 am

Thanks Tim. As you aware, Roberta Estes website (https://dna-explained.com) has some excellent material to help people understand DNA testing. I think the autosomal material is especially good.
Tim Fitzpatrick

Sun Jul 29, 2018 9:46 am

[quote=mikefitz post_id=38 time=1531683501 user_id=2]
Thanks Tim. As you aware, Roberta Estes website (https://dna-explained.com) has some excellent material to help people understand DNA testing. I think the autosomal material is especially good.
[/quote]
Mike yes I follow her blog. Emily Aulicino has a good book called Genetic Genealogy and Beyond.
The chappie who has a blog called Segmentology is excellent as well
Tim Fitzpatrick

Mon Sep 10, 2018 9:36 pm

I think we forget that autosomal DNA can be used in a Surname project. All the descendants of a male Fitzpatrick who lived five to six generations ago will have his atDNA and an unbroken male line will have yDNA. Building the atDNA profile of the male ancestor of the current male Fitzpatrick in the project will help place that ancestor in geography and time. It deals with the recent past ( five to six generations ) where two males can see if there is a common male ancestor within this timeframe. It may be a signpost to other male lines that may have daughtered out. It brings in the male and female lines that do not have the Fitzpatrick surname but who have Fitzpatrick DNA, just not the yDNA.