Fitzpatricks in Australia

mikefitz
Site Admin

Wed Jul 11, 2018 5:58 pm

Fitzpatricks in Australia connect here.
Tim Fitzpatrick

Thu Jul 12, 2018 2:40 pm

Hi Mike,
I am now in the society. The site looks good and is a great initiative.

Tim
Last edited by Tim Fitzpatrick on Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
colettefitzp

Sun Jul 15, 2018 5:15 pm

Hi Tim,
Colette Fitzpatrick from Sydney Australia. My father Brian Fitzpatrick did the DNA test in 2004 and so far has matched with a few other Fitzpatrick's from Clare Ireland. His father John Fitzpatrick was born in Clare Ireland and arrived in Sydney in 1925.
Have you been able to trace where you Fitzpatrick's came from? My Dad has matched from Australia and the US.

Colette
mikefitz
Site Admin

Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:39 am

Hi Colette, and welcome. Is your line the one that traces to Cronagort?
sharonfitzpatrick

Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:19 pm

Hi Fellow Fitz's,

My pop Robert Heremon FitzPatrick came to Australia in 1923 as a dreadnaught boy which was an assisted migration scheme by the Australian government to help boost the number of young men working the land after the great losses from the war left quite a shortage of workers. His parents were Robert Persse FitzPatrick and Margaret Augusta Reid (his second wife) with three other siblings and 4 half siblings from RP's first marriage to Caroline Moore. I know a reasonable amount of info about the family and family tree but who really knows what might pop up when I do the DNA test.
mikefitz
Site Admin

Thu Jul 19, 2018 2:10 pm

Welcome Sharon.

We have the DNA expertise you help you there. Are you considering a DNA test at the moment?
sharonfitzpatrick

Fri Jul 20, 2018 11:38 pm

Hi Mike,

Yes, we are. My knowledge of the DNA testing is quite minimal but I do know that being female I do one sort of dna test and my dad has agreed to do the other sort. From reading a little there seems to be a myriad of choices as to type and provider and this is where I am getting confused as to which test and which company would be most beneficial.
mikefitz
Site Admin

Sat Jul 21, 2018 10:28 am

Sharon I'm sure you will pick up the DNA knowledge quite quickly, Many people are a bit intimidated initially, but it's not that complicated - and it's a lot of fun!

These days a lot of people are taking what's called an autosomal DNA test, which I view as a fishing net that you throw out and catch all manner of fish. These fish are cousins that can be from every branch of your family tree. They can be close cousins, or quite distant ones. I have more than 2000 cousin matches, but only a very few that I can identify and place on my family tree. However it's a fantastic tool to aid your traditional genealogical research. The autosomal test is for both women and men and my advice is that, whenever possible, people start by testing their parents or, or that's not possible uncles or aunts on both your maternal and paternal side. That way you will be able to group your matches as being on one side or the other. And if you are really fortunate to have them around, test grandparents/great uncles/great aunts etc as well. There are a few testing companies out there and they are much of a muchness. Ancestry has the largest matching database and from there you can also transfer your DNA data to other sites, such as Family Tree DNA and MyHeritage.

There are other types of tests people commonly take that are only for males. That's because they test the Y-Chromosome and this test is used to identify paternal lines, since the Y-Chromosome is passed on from father to son. The Fitzpatrick DNA project is hosted at Family Tree DNA and has many members. If your dad took a Y-DNA test there is a good chance he will be able to find Fitzpatrick matches. We can talk about which test to take when and if you are ready to proceed.
Tim Fitzpatrick

Wed Jul 25, 2018 9:57 pm

Collette,
My lot came to Sydney in the 1850's. There were six siblings who came from 1850 through to 1865. They came from a 30 acre farm located in the townland of Cloghpook about 3 kms north of Kilkenny City and near Muckalee. The generation that followed migrated to America. Each time leaving one or two to stay. The farm is still in the Fitzpatrick ownership. I have been there and meet my 3rd cousin who owns the farm. So we worked out that at least seven generations of Fitzy families have lived on the farm. It was a very special thing to be there.

Collette, what level of yDNA test has Brian done ? I am getting better at using SNP testing since I did a BigY test. Do you have someone who could do the BigY and then use the info from the this BigY to identify likely candidates for a SNP pack test.

Tim
colettefitzp

Wed Aug 01, 2018 5:22 pm

Hi Mike,
yes my Great Grandfather's Fitzpatricks are from Cronagort Co. Clare and my Great Grandmothers Fitzpatricks are from Gleninagh Co Clare. I am hoping to find out more about the family from Gleninagh as I will be visiting there in September.

cheers
Colette